The lifesaving food 90% aren’t eating enough of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46827426
* Recommended Daily- 30 g
* % that eat that much – 10%
* Average male intake – 21g
* Why it is important – Fibre is digested by gut bacteria (microbiome) and yields short-chain fatty acids which are absorbed and used in your body
* The role of short-chain fatty acids in the interplay between diet, gut microbiota and host energy metabolism. den Besten et al., 2013
* Epidemiological studies show an association between a higher fiber intake and a reduced risk of irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and colon cancer
* Beneficial effects found in a recent Lancet meta-analysis. Reynolds et al. 2019 https://id.elsevier.com/ACW/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.jbs.elsevierhealth.com%2Faction%2FconsumeSsoCookie%3FredirectUri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.thelancet.com%252Faction%252FconsumeSharedSessionAction%253FJSESSIONID%253DaaaJSnbIWvAPx-uOMtdGw%2526MAID%253DRWGw1I5U0lKnukUS8dQ6rw%25253D%25253D%2526SERVER%253DWZ6myaEXBLHNN%25252BUWpfIEYQ%25253D%25253D%2526ORIGIN%253D480307087%2526RD%253DRD%26code%3Dnull%26ctmms%3D1547217409528
* It suggests if you shifted 1,000 people from a low fibre diet (less than 15g) to a high-fibre one (25-29g), then it would prevent 13 deaths and six cases of heart disease.
* That’s during the course of these studies, which tended to follow people for one to two decades.
* It also showed lower levels of type-2 diabetes and bowel cancer as well as lower weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
* And the more fibre people ate, the better.
* Find a program to monitor fiber. MyFitnessPal is a free app that yields fiber breakdown. MyPlate, Noom, Fitocracy Macros do not.
* Aim for 30 g by
* Increasing vegetables and fruit
* Increase whole grains
* Monitor for 1 month and re-evaluate